There are two steps to registration: paying bills and signing up for courses. It is also important to register in the appropriate status.
Note to special circumstances:
- Special standing students register using a different process. For information, scroll down.
- Students who have not enrolled for two consecutive semesters need to apply for readmission. For information, scroll down.
You must pay your bill at the Office of Student Financial Services in the Boisfeuillet Jones Center by 4:00 p.m. on the day of registration. Students who do not complete payment and registration by the deadline will be assessed a $150.00 late registration fee.
Signing up for Courses
- Before you register, consult with your advisor about your schedule, and check with program staff for any program-specific requirements.
- Complete the registration forms, making sure to indicate the class number, OPUS course number, number of credit hours, and grading option for each course.
- Remember to obtain signatures for permission only (section numbers ending in P) and overloaded (closed) courses, and always consult instructors before registering to audit a course. Your program may require you to obtain faculty signatures on approved schedules prior to pre-registration.
- Unless instructed otherwise by your graduate program, students in the Laney Graduate School register via OPUS. (New Students should submit registration forms with the necessary signatures to their program office. Program staff will check all forms and enter the schedule on the Registrar’s system.)
- You are responsible for obtaining the required program approval for your schedule and for verifying that your registration is correct.
Students in the Laney Graduate School register in one of two forms:
- Enrollment: All students taking courses must be in enrollment status. This includes all audit, directed study, and research courses as well as standard coursework for both degree-seeking and special standing students.
- Tuition-paid: Students who have completed six semesters, excluding summers, are registered in tuition-paid, full-time status.. They may register for 9 hours in dissertation research, or for courses.
Special Standing Students
If you are a special standing student, you may not use OPUS to pre-register.
Before registering for a course, you need to obtain required signatures from course instructors and progams. Some programs require special standing students to obtain permission from the director of graduate studies as well. Once you have obtained all the necessary signatures, turn in the completed and approved registration form to the Laney Graduate School. Graduate School staff will enter your schedule in OPUS.
Students who do not take course work for consecutive semesters, excluding summer semester, must apply for readmission at least 30 days before the semester in which they wish to re-register. The student and the Director of Graduate Studies or the Program Chair must sign the application for readmission. Readmission is approved at the discretion of the program or division, and programs may prescribe additional course requirements for readmitted students.
When approving readmission, programs should pay particular attention to a student’s academic standing at the end of the last semester registered and to grades of incomplete which were converted to Fs during the student’s absence. Students who have exceeded the eight-year limit on time to degree cannot be readmitted without an official extension. Students who discontinued work with a terminal master’s degree will not be readmitted.