Master's Students

This page will guide you through what you need to submit, including a required survey. Guidelines, forms and link to the required exit survey can be found in the callout box "Instructions, Forms and Survey."

In rare cases: if you need an extension to submit your thesis and forms after the posted deadline. View instructions.

Guidelines, Checklist and Templates

Click on the document "Submitting Your Thesis or Dissertation."  It has a helpful submission checklist and details about each item to be submitted. You will also find templates for items such as the thesis cover page, the approval sheet, and more.

Electronic Theses and Dissertation Repository

Before you submit your forms and thesis or dissertation paperwork, you need to submit electronically to the Electronic Theses and Dissertations Repository, or ETD. Read more on our Electronic Theses and Dissertations Repository page. 

Your ETD record should be submitted before you upload your forms and paperwork.

Required Survey

The Laney Graduate School requires terminal Master's students (not those seeking a Master's on their way to the PhD) to complete the online Master's Graduate Education Exit Survey. The survey is confidential and is essential for producing aggregate data that helps Emory and the national higher education community understand how graduate students progress through their programs and view their educational experiences.

  • Complete this survey before you submit your forms to LGS. 
  • Be sure to upload the required certificate to demonstrate that you have completed the survey. This certificate is available at the end of the survey.

What You Need to Submit Online to LGS...

If you seek an interim Master's (on the way to the PhD) or a terminal Master's based on candidacy, coursework or a project:

  • Master's Completion Form
  • Unofficial transcript
  • Completion certificate for the Master's Graduate Education Exit Survey (terminal Master's only)

If you seek an interim Master's (on the way to the PhD) or a terminal Master's based on completion of a thesis:

  • Master's Completion Form
  • Unofficial transcript
  • Approval page with original signatures
  • An Electronic Theses and Dissertations Repository Submission Agreement 
  • Distribution agreement
  • Completion certificate for the Master's Graduate Education Exit Survey (terminal Master's only)
  • All items should be submitted online, using the LGS Student Action Form.  Log on to the form, enter a little information about yourself, and then choose the relevant completion action to submit your items.

Electronic signatures

We accept electronic signatures for dissertation approval pages and other forms associated with completion.

Options for electronic signatures:

  1. Signers may print and sign a form, then scan and email it to the student.
  2. Signers may insert a digital image of their signature. 
  3. Use tools such as Adobe Sign or DocuSign to create an electronic signature. 

If you submit an electronic signature and we are uncertain about how to interpret it, we will not simply reject the document but will contact the appropriate faculty member(s) to confirm.

If a faculty member is unable to provide any kind of scanned or electronic signature, they should email Renee Webb at with a statement that includes the student’s name and degree program, date of defense, and a short sentence saying that this is their electronic signature approving the dissertation (or approving another form). 

Submission Deadline Extension

In certain circumstances students may need an extension to submit a dissertation or thesis and associated forms after the posted deadline. These request are reviewed by the Laney Graduate School, and must be for an approved reason:

  • advisor, committee member or DGS/Program Director is unavailable
  • illness or other personal emergency
  • defense date is after the posted submission deadline

If you seek an extension for another reason, you can explain and the Dean may approve. 

To request an extension, use the Submission Extension Deadline Signature Form (your advisor, DGS or Director must sign), and submit it using the Student Action Online Form (you will find an option for this action).